Your support helps Ellis Hospital provide high quality patient-centered care to everyone who needs it. Investments in life-saving treatments help to provide better care and improve every patient’s experience. The following priorities are where support is most needed:
Transforming Cancer Treatment for the Region
Every person battling cancer deserves their best chance to beat it
Early detection is critical to treating cancer and saving lives. State-of-the-art technology, innovative testing and advanced medical treatments help to improve the health and the quality of life for cancer patients and their families.
Community support has allowed Ellis to expand oncology services to now provide multidisciplinary cancer care, including radiation therapy, surgical treatment, and medical oncology in partnership with Roswell Park, a leading and recognized National Cancer Institute-designated center, and participation in life-saving clinical trials, close to home.
Equipment to Diagnose and Treat Cancer
- The state-of-the-art Linear Accelerator (LINAC) delivers external beam radiation treatments and can pinpoint radiation to a tumor’s 3D shape to destroy cancerous cells with minimal exposure to the surrounding healthy tissue. Newer technology allows Ellis to treat more types of cancer including tumors in the brain, spine, lungs and other areas that can be difficult to treat.
- A PET/CT scanner produces vivid and highly precise images to help ensure earlier, more accurate diagnoses, effective treatment and care, and enhanced learning and research capability.
- A team of highly skilled Oncology Pharmacists will provide evidence-based, patient-centered medication therapy management and monitoring for potential adverse drug reactions and interactions.
- An Oncology Resource Center for information, support, assistance, and materials designed to educate, comfort and guide patients through their cancer journey. The Resource Center will also have access to a variety of hats, scarves or wigs, and more to provide comfort and dignity during their cancer journey.
Integrated and Holistic Cancer Care
- Ellis and Roswell are dedicated to providing care for the whole person, both medically and emotionally. Patients can rely on a team of psychologists, social workers, dietitians, and other professionals who will work together to provide all of the following right here at Ellis:
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Dental care and maxillofacial prosthetics
- Palliative care
- Pain management
- Psychological support
- Clinical genetics counseling
- Nutrition assistance
- Complementary therapies including massage, acupuncture, and Reiki
- Our Survivorship program brings together many clinical and supportive services to help patients embrace a new normal, including managing complications or side effects, rehabilitative therapy, nutrition counseling, and emotional support and guidance; all to create a plan for the healthiest lifestyle possible.
Improve Mental Health Facilities and Expand Programming
Mental health services are one of the community’s and region’s greatest needs. Ellis is dedicated to serving the behavioral and psychiatric needs of individuals in our community and from all over New York State. The demand for our outpatient services consistently exceeds our capacity – even with our recent expansion, and our inpatient units average nearly 90% capacity.
- Remediate ligature risks in the adult and adolescent inpatient psychiatric units
- Increase access to outpatient treatment for children, adolescents and families
- Enhance treatments to support individuals in their recovery through the use of sensory equipment and play therapy
- Assure continued access to crisis services provided at The Living Room
Operating Rooms (OR)
The OR expansion and modernization project on the Ellis and Bellevue campuses will ensure that our facilities can accommodate the surgical needs of our physicians and community, including further expansion of our robotic and minimally invasive programs.
- Renovations to existing ORs on Nott Street and Bellevue Woman’s Center to improve the flow and circulation around modern equipment while cosmetic updates will address safety needs
- Elevator access from the parking garages
- Expanded ORs at Bellevue allowing for all surgical specialists to practice at Bellevue
- Newer state-of-the-art robotic equipment, technology that was introduced at Ellis nearly a decade ago will enable surgeons in all specialties to perform more complex procedures with the benefits of minimizing surgical invasiveness. For patients, this often translates into less pain, minimal scarring and a faster return to work and enjoyed activities.
Attracting, Developing, Supporting and Retaining a Talented Workforce
Ellis is committed to investing in a strong, sustainable workforce that is as diverse as the community we serve to ensure access to care now and in the future. Philanthropy plays a pivotal role in assuring that the Ellis team is trained and ready to care for our community by supporting the continuing education of our nurses and future nurses.
The Advanced Nursing Education program provides up to $15,000 in tuition for nurses to pursue an advanced degree (BSN, MSN, or terminal doctoral degree), which studies have proven, leads to improved patient outcomes and quality care. More than 60 nurses have gone on to earn an advanced degree since 2018.
The Create Your Career award is available to staff choosing to become an RN or to earn certifications necessary to advance in their field.
To learn more
For more information about supporting any of these initiatives, please contact the Foundation for Ellis Medicine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 518.243.4600